Pages

Monday, March 17, 2008

Going with the Flow

Listening, watching and being within the ocean during my vacation reminded me of the environment’s physical ability to compliment itself with change. As well as at home, the cold harshness of winter is letting go to the gentle renewal of spring. Everything has its own rhythm.

I really enjoy going into the ocean and floating, rolling with the water as it crests and just letting my body be moved and supported by the water. Someone nearby was trying to do the same and asked me how I was able to keep my toes out of the water while doing so? From a physical standpoint I explained that I was keeping my body lifted towards the top of the water and then just breathing and floating. No real technique, just “going with the flow”.

I watched as they forced their feet to the surface but kept their backside closer to the bottom so when the water would rise they would get a face full rather than floating atop as a leaf would. It appeared that they were working against the water, trying to control the movement and working to keep afloat rather than “just going with the flow”.

Working with your current momentum of your life can be challenging. Perhaps you are in a low tide place where things are seemingly moving at a slower pace; allowing your mind and body to be in restoration in order to prepare for the high energy of high tide.

I love my high tide; when I’m going and doing, connecting and building, riding the wave! However there can be times when while on the move I look forward to the ebb. Contrarily there are times when I less than love the low tide and am working vigorously towards getting back in the flow; but am beginning to understand and appreciate the benefits of this balance.

Just as the lesson of floating in the ocean; it is distracting to think about the ebb while in the flow and vice versa. Being present can be the largest lesson to learn and a most valuable habit to cultivate. The Yin/Yang symbol shows us the balance of light & dark and is constantly moving in synchronicity. And just as our physical environment teaches us that surely spring follows winter; low tide follows high tide; and day will turn to night; we sometimes have to let go of our idea of control and trust that the pattern is working synchronistic ally in our lives even though it may not be readily apparent.

No comments: