Pages

Wednesday, April 23, 2008

"Hurray!"

If you haven’t already seen these commercials promoting being power smart they are brilliant! Here are the links from You Tube: BC Hydro: Lights Off; BC Hydro: Cell Phone; BC Hydro: Laptop .

All of the commercials are focused around being Power smart, shutting off lights; unplugging the cell phone charger and laptop cord. When the person in the commercial does this there is a group of people who are dressed “football fan” style and they cheer, hoot, holler, & high five when the lights are turned off and or cord unplugged. Not only does the person in the commercial have a cheering squad for doing well for the environment but they get cheered for doing something so commonplace.

Imagine doing what you do and having someone giving you a big “Hurray!” for doing things like:
· Folding the laundry & buying the groceries
· Finding that illusive mate to a sock
· Fill in your own blank

In the course of the day the novelty of having a squad "Hurray-ing" you at every turn would undoubtedly wear off rather quickly. And as my points are directed to the Mom Job description there are more times than not when what you do is taken for granted.

I’ve got a “rental” child for 3 weeks. Friends went off to Africa and without hesitation I agreed many months ago to take their 9 year old daughter. My eldest and her are in the same class, are friends in and out of school; and my youngest is thrilled to have another “big sister”.

This has all been very exciting getting our home ready to receive her. Moving things in and around; creating a space for her and her things; creating space in our schedules to accommodate her commitments; buying groceries after getting the low down on her likes and dislikes and generally preparing for her to blend into our ecosystem with as few bumps as possible.
Even though she has only been here since Monday I have to say she’s adapted quite nicely and I must say I’m lovin’ the fanfare, sans the football gear.

Yes, the compliments have been flying about the French Toast at breakfast, last night’s spaghetti supper was a big hit and I enlisted them to make an apple crisp that she has absolutely fawned over. Even telling me again this morning how good it was and couldn’t wait to have another helping after school.

Wow is all I can say. I haven’t changed anything that I normally do, well okay I’ve made a couple desserts in the last week that has had my own family wondering what’s going on with me, but as a general rule I’m not Food TV-ing it just the same ole same ole.

However, I must admit that the compliments are working for me. They have reminded me that sometimes doing what you do may feel at times routine and therefore not “Hurray” worthy but when someone does acknowledge what you too may take for granted it certainly shifts the energy, your own and that of the ecosystem.

So here is my “Hurray” to receiving gratitude; and my intention is to pay it forward! May you choose to do the same!

So from Me to You...“Hurray! Whoo Hoo! Great Job! High Five! Thanks!"

No comments: