Pages

Sunday, August 11, 2013

Reflection: On the Roads Already Travelled

Credit:  Beth Bacaglia's Simply Inspired
I shared this beautiful photo on my Facebook page and commented "I believe that its possible that we may only see the route as scenic, after we have travelled it".  

Have you ever white knuckled your way through a road trip?  I know I have.  

My first driving experience on the, I'll say the other side of the road, was travelling from Edinburgh to St. Andrew's golf course.  
Had to do a selfie before climbing behind the wheel!
The directions I gave my passengers were:
  • NO Talking
  • NO Squabbling
  • NO Breathing too loud
  • Definitely NO music
  • Pretty much do NOTHING to distract me from the task at hand.
I needed the car to be the most tranquil environment so I could focus specifically on:  
  1. Staying in the proper lane,
  2. Driving the proper speed limit (meaning not too slow in this instance),
  3. Negotiate the skinny roads,
  4. Listen to the Sat Nav,
  5. Most importantly listen to the constant mental chatter of "You can do this"!
I can tell you that the scenery was unique, from the little glances I stole and eventually I was able to converse and at one point laugh.  

Was I able to appreciate the scenic route I was on, literally.  I'd say no.

Once I finally got the car parked and was no longer behind the wheel could I appreciate it? I'd say...umm yes, and perhaps after my wine with dinner the yes had more oomph.

The literal task of driving was not the issue, it was seeing the road from a different vantage point and NOT thinking it was wrong, it was simply different.  
Credit:  Gratitude n all


Driving on the left vs the right side of the road is exactly the same, however when all of your driving has been from the left side of the vehicle on the right side of the road, making that switch is mind bending.  And for anyone who has made the switch, even temporarily you may concur that you can almost feel the new tracks in your brain being paved.

Having now driven for the past year in Australia, I can appreciate the process even more.  I celebrated when I could comfortably drive with the radio on, began to multi task by yelling at the kids or be able to take a drink of coffee in transit.

Does it feel normal? Kinda, well it feels "less new".

The journey over the past year, driving included, has been scenic in more ways than one. Whether I was able to appreciate that fact in the moment or only when looking back. 

I believe there is always something interesting to appreciate, see and learn through observation and reflection.



No comments: