Pages

Thursday, January 3, 2008

Challenging ourselves with Change

I personally believe that the Knowledge & Self Cultivation Gua in Feng Shui is one of the most important areas on the bagua map to be mindful of when using Feng Shui. All of the guas are important and are inter-related however the significance of that gua is a place I myself start and encourage my clients to as well.

This gua is described as the “Still Mountain”, it is home of the Earth Element and is an area which encourages one to be still and grounded with self, and to meditate. When we take the opportunity to reflect on who we are, when we can be still and quiet we can invite clarity about what and where we are at with ourselves.

When mapping the bagua on my home overall, the majority of this area is outside in the landscape and encompasses my eldest daughter’s bedroom. This can present a challenge as I can not do much to this physical area in the winter and my daughter’s space is her own. Therefore I must ensure that this gua is boosted in other areas of my home to balance out the energy.

I feel that January is a month in which we can truly begin to check in with ourselves and reground, even when the ground is literally frozen. Despite January 1st being a landmark for creating resolutions or making intentions for the new year, based on collective consciousness, the month can be a time to reflect on the past, take stock, get clear, and my fave let go of the things that do not serve you (physically, mentally & emotionally).

My daughters suggested yesterday that they wanted to switch bedrooms, my Mom instinct was to say NO because I was already engrossed in de-clutter mode and I didn’t physically want to end up doing “their” project. Then the irony occurred to me, “Who am I to say No to changing rooms?” My kids are subjected to my doing this all the time and suddenly I don’t think this is a good idea, how funny is that! What a brilliant way for them to get a new fresh perspective by changing spaces, and what a great way to freshen up the chi in our overall Knowledge & Self Cultivation Gua. I laid the ground rules (I was Not moving furniture) and they very energetically tackled the project by themselves.

It wasn’t until late afternoon, when the chatter filtering down to me switched to outrage. I was quick to learn that my 9 year old (who instigated this move), suddenly realized she was losing square footage and wanted her room back NOW! My nearly 7 year old was not going to comply because hey this was a good deal for her and she succinctly said, “I gave you what you asked for and now you don’t want it!”

The grass is always greener right…So what do I do?

The move was 95% complete and if I decide to have them switch back that would stop one from hyperventilating but would surely put the other in a tailspin, and let’s face it I’d be doing the actual work because their cooperative spirit has been doused.

I decide to go with the life lesson door, and I clarify with the both of them about how this idea came to pass, I remind them of the excitement they took on the task with, I congratulate them for all the work they did by themselves without me, and how now that the work is done we will not be switching everything back to the way it was.

My 9 year old is absolutely devastated, and was frantically coming up with ways to describe how this is effecting her and she will most likely die because she has to be in that room and all she wants is her room back and she would be happy. I calmly let her know that when a person makes a big decision that there are times when the outcome isn’t as you expected but you have to find a way to make peace with it. I encouraged her to think about why she had come up with the idea in the first place and how she could creatively think of ways to make it work for her. It took time, she wanted to blame her sister, in the end she said that maybe this would actually be a good thing. And I couldn’t agree more!

When any change occurs in our lives the lesson we learn from the experience may not be clear or what we expected at first glance. How we learn to adapt to the newness and make peace with it will undoubtedly be a bigger lesson we learn about ourselves in the end.

In the words of Louise L. Hay, from You Can Heal Your Life:
In the infinity of life where I am, all is perfect,
whole and complete, and yet life is ever changing.
There is no beginning and no end,
only a constant cycling and recycling of substance and experiences.
life is never stuck or static or stale,
for each moment is ever new and fresh.
I am one with the very Power that created me and this Power
has given me the power to create my own circumstances.
I rejoice in the knowledge that I have the power of my own mind to use in any way I choose.
Every moment of life is a new beginning point as we move from the old. This moment is a new point of beginning for me right here and right now.

All is well in my world.

With Grateful Ch’i
Sherry

No comments: